Monday 14 January 2013

Interview with Antonina Mamzenko


So here it is... the first interview of 2013!

1. Will you start by telling us where you work and live and the type of photography you do?
I’m a lifestyle family photographer and I photograph babies, families and bumps. My style is really unobtrusive and even documentary in a way. I strive to capture genuine emotions and unposed moments just through allowing people to be themselves.

I live in a tiny house in Surrey, UK and work on location, travelling to places near to where my clients live, pretty much anywhere in London, Surrey and sometimes even further afield.



2. What inspires you as a photographer?

Capturing people the way they really are, creating a snapshot of their love and happiness – something they can look at on a bad day and remember everything that’s great about their family. Although my dad was very much into photography when I was growing up, we didn’t really have beautiful photographs of our family spending time together. I think I always had it at the back of my mind and that’s what I want to give my clients.



3. How long have been a photographer?

I’ve been photographing people for the last 5 years, slowly discovering my own style and things that move me.



4. When you’re not photographing, where can we find you?

On Facebook, haha! Browsing the internet or reading a book. I also love travelling but since I had a baby 2 years ago I haven’t been able to do it as much as I’d love to. Slowly getting back into it though!



5. Any books that inspired you {or helped you} in your business?

The book that kick-started my business was “Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway” by Susan Jeffers. I was too scared to admit (even to myself) that photography and running my own business on my own terms is actually what I’d like to do, and reading this book helped me to gather up courage and just do it!



6. Best marketing idea? 

For me – a great online presence. A website and a blog that looks professional and showcases you and your images in the best light is something I wouldn’t be able to get my first clients without.



7. Worst marketing idea?

Giving away free photography sessions hoping to get some good clients. Doesn’t work. I did it once when I first started and told myself “never again”. I now only do it when I want to try something new for me, and add to my portfolio, and I don’t expect to find paying clients this way. Also print advertising. Unless you have a budget to advertise every month, in a number of magazines - don’t do it.




8. Do you have a studio and if not do you feel having a studio would help your business grow?

I was working out of my bedroom for the most of the first couple of years, and now I’m working out of a tiny study so I can get organised and have space for all the stuff that I’ve got (and I’m slowly running out of space!), but I don’t have a studio as such. I would love to though, but it’d have to be a pretty large space with a lot of natural light – somewhere I could take my clients to when the weather isn’t that great, or when it’s cold outside. I think it would definitely help.... Maybe in about 5 years time, something to aspire to!



9. What do you think makes a photographer successful?

It’s a tough one. I’d love to say “talent” but the truth is that sadly talent has very little to do with a professional success. Business brain is what will make you successful, although a little bit of talent will definitely help along the way.



10. What’s your weakness in this business?

Procrastination!



11. Are you a Nikon or Canon? and which model?

Canon, but for no other reason than it being my very first camera, so I bought a number of lenses over the years and switching to something else is a bit of a pain! I shoot with a 5D Mark II and it’s a brilliant camera.



12. and Lens?

I shoot with 50mm f1.4, 24-70mm f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 L. The 50mm prime is my current favourite and a 85mm lens is currently on my wish list.



13. If you weren’t a photographer, what would you be? 

I’ve already been so many things it’s hard to choose :) I’m actually a trained lawyer and after that I changed my career to being in marketing and design, as I needed a creative outlet law couldn’t give me. So I think I’d stick to being in marketing if I didn’t have the guts to be a photographer.



14. Can you give the readers your best piece of advice for starting or running a photography business.

Get your business ducks in a row, figure out what it costs you to actually run the business and price to make a profit. Don’t spend a lot of money on the latest gear, samples you won’t need, and all the fancy design templates. Just do it slowly and more importantly, do it your way. There are no rights and wrongs in this business, there’s only what’s right for you and your clients.




15. Tell us your proudest moment of your career?

Genuinely... being booked again and again by the same families, and seeing how comfortable they are with me, it really makes it all worth it.




Here is where you can find Antonina:

Twitter https://twitter.com/antoninam
Facebook www.facebook.com/LondonFamilyPhotographer
Website: http://www.mamzenko.com/
Blog: http://www.mamzenko.com/blog/



 Follow my blog with Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. Interesting to hear the back-story from a friend and very talented photographer. Your images really are something special. I hope your success continues and grows even more in the coming years.

    ReplyDelete