Saturday 23 October 2010

Marketing for beginners - Photographers Boutique

Marketing yourself doesn't have to be expensive, and it doesn't have to be difficult!

There are probably hundreds of low cost marketing ideas, I'm sure you have your own; but these are ones I've used or come across myself. 

  1. When I first started out I wanted to build a portfolio and found the easiest way to do this was to either offer free portrait sessions but with full priced prints etc, or simply ask friends with kids.  I wanted lots of people to see my photos and by offering to take photos of people I didnt know I felt I might be widening my circle of potential customers.
  2. I also reward referrals. I make a policy to reward anyone who brings me a referral. When a client brings in a propective client, I give them a gift, such as a coupon worth reprints, frames, or to a local spa or restaurant. As an added incentive, I give a small gift to the new client as well, usually a scented candle or chocolates.
  3. Brag books are a great way to share your photos.  After every session I give each client a small book (2in x 2ins) containing around 10-15 photos that they can carry in their handbag (or wallet).  They then show this to their friends and as it has my contact details inside they know who to contact!
  4. Create a tie-in with another business. Contact a local business and offer to exchange coupons or even photograph their stock. For example, your client receives coupons from a local restaurant, hair salon, spa, or wherever your typical prospect would shop. A great place to start is with clients of yours who already own their own businesses
  5. Run a competition from your facebook page.  Check facebooks rules but bascially run a competition where you offer a free mini session (30 minutes max) and perhaps ask for cute photos of kids, then get people to vote.  To vote they will have to become fans of your facebook page and you are bound to get some more custom even if they dont win!
  6. Create a photo display in a local boutique, or offer prints to a local hospital or doctors waiting room.  Make sure your logo and contact details are visable.
  7. Raise money for charity either by offering your services for a charity or offering a free session. Not only do you help a good cause, you get plenty of free, positive publicity and exposure.
  8. Leave your business cards everywhere. Whenever you are at a restaurant, leave a nice tip and your card.
  9. Do photos at kids parties.  The parents will more than likely want a good photo of their kids, and if you can collect enough email addresses and pass out lots of business cards!
  10. Guest blog on blogs like this one or on blogs which are more specific to what you do?  Maybe you could write an article about wedding photography and how to prepare, and team up with a wedding blog or wedding planner?
Anyway I hope that this has given you a few ideas, there are so many out there, you just need to give them a go - no one is going to just find you!  Get out there and find some clients!

No comments:

Post a Comment