Thursday 24 March 2011

Interview with Andy Schofield of Andy Schofield Photography

1.    Will you start by telling us where you work and live and the type of photography you do?
At the moment I live and work in Southport, Merseyside.  I am planning to move to London over the summer.  I am a fashion photographer and director. 



2.    What inspires you as a photographer?
A lot of things inspire me.  There is so much out there from magazines to films and the internet, I can gleam inspiration from all these sources but the most of my inspiration I can get is from taking a walk in the sun!  I love just day dreaming in my hammock, I believe a real key to being creative is being relaxed and in a state of peaceful reflection.



3.    How long have been a photographer?
I have been a photographer for about 4 years.  I was self taught, technically speaking, but the last three years have been spent doing a degree in order to develop creatively.


4.    When you’re not photographing, where can we find you?
At home with the wife and rabbit J or playing cricket.

5.    Any books that inspired you {or helped you} in your business?
Tons.  Joe McNally’s books have taught me loads!! Every serious photographer should pick them up and learn something. 
Ispiration wise – I love Nick Knight’s book, Richard Avedon’s, “In Between” by Guy Bourdin and all 125 Magazines!!



6.    Best marketing idea? 
Still working on that one!!

7.    Worst marketing idea?
Networking Events.  Especially ones you pay for! 



8.    Do you have a studio and if not do you feel having a studio would help your business grow?
I am a very portable photographer and mainly shoot on location.  If I need a studio I would rent one.  Owning one is obviously the dream but financially might not be practical…yet!



9.    What do you think makes a photographer successful?
Determination.  Consistency.  Never Fear failure.  Keep going.  Love People and Love Life.

10. What’s your weakness in this business?
I always find pricing the hardest thing.  It’s something I am constantly tweaking. 



11. Are you a Nikon or Canon?
Nikon though I really want a 5D MkII

12. and Lens?
I only use prime lenses.  My 50mm is my favourite though a friend of mine gave me a 20mm which I love…the distortion is great J



13. If you weren’t a photographer, what would you be?
Probably a graphic designer or web designer…I experimented with McDonalds and even became a driving instructor but kept falling asleep!!!



14. Can you give the readers your best piece of advice for starting or running a photography business.
Research.  Be confident in your ideas.  Research.  Learn about best business practices.  Research. 


15. Tell us your proudest moment of your career?
Making the decision to pursue my dreams!!!

Here is where you can find Andy schofield

2 comments:

  1. I am so pleased you interviewed Andy - I love his work and it turns out he only lives a few street away from me !

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's also a great teacher! Fab images Andy as usual :)

    ReplyDelete