Monday 28 March 2011

Interview with Jonathan Ryan - Photographer

    1.    Will you start by telling us where you work and live and the type of photography you do?

I live and work in Canterbury in Kent.  Which is the pretty bit just before you hit France.  I describe myself as a social and portrait photographer - mainly I take pictures of people.  People getting married, people wearing nice clothes, people under the age of 5.


    2.    What inspires you as a photographer?

Light, colour, drama.  I absolutely love this time of year because everything looks great in early morning and afternoon light. And really - it’s all about light.



    3.    How long have been a photographer?

Professionally getting on for 5 years.  Before that I had some dull jobs and took pictures on the weekends.



    4.    When you’re not photographing, where can we find you?

Um, probably behind a camera ;)  We’ve got a nice big garden and an allotment that keep me busy in the summer but lots of my friends are either amateur or professional photographers so when we meet up there are usually cameras about.

    5.    Any books that inspired you {or helped you} in your business?

And oldish book called “Photography your way” by Chuck Delaney.  The main message is that there’s no one way of doing things.  Find your own way, your own path, your own style.


    6.    Best marketing idea? 

Social media.  It takes a huge amount of effort but for the cost you can’t beat the likes of Twitter and Facebook.


    7.    Worst marketing idea?

Hmm, yeah.  I remember printing out a bunch of 6X4s, sticking mailing labels on the back and direct mailing them to cold contacts.  With hindsight it would have been better to chuck the money away...



    8.    Do you have a studio and if not do you feel having a studio would help your business grow?

I have a gallery.  That’s a place for people to come and see pictures and talk.  And it works really well for me.  I don’t particularly like working in a studio and can hire them when I need.



    9.    What do you think makes a photographer successful?

Determination.  Really, running a successful photography business has very very little to do with taking pictures and a lot to do with business.



    10.    What’s your weakness in this business?

Admin.  I’m always jus in time with the important stuff but following up and leads and generating repeat business through follow up marketing not so much.  I’d always rather be out taking new pictures.


    11.    Are you a Nikon or Canon?

Nikon (and Hasselblad...)



    12.    and Lens?

Yeah, lots of those.  Favourite at the moment is the 24-70 though I’m teaching myself to use the 105 DC.  Very interesting lens when you get to grips with it.



    13.    If you weren’t a photographer, what would you be?

Bored ;).  I have a background in IT and have worked for a bunch of merchant banks etc but nothing is as much fun as this.



    14.    Can you give the readers your best piece of advice for starting or running a photography business.

Same advice I give to brides - trust a few, fear the rest.  You need feedback and support from friends.  But choose them wisely.  The last thing you want is to surround yourself with people telling you how awesome you are.  Because some days you’re really not.


    15.    Tell us your proudest moment of your career?

I’m still working on that.  Realistically all I do is fiddle with lights and hit a button now and again - it’s kind of hard for that to make you truly “proud”.  The most exciting shoot I’ve done recently was my underwater bridal one - just the thrill of having no idea whether I would go home with some images or not kicked the adrenaline up nicely.  One of the most satisfying from a business point of view was the Snow Queen shoot.  I mentioned social media - that required a frantic 24 hours of drawing on the contacts I’d made over a year to put together.  Plus finding some huskies on Facebook.  But pride?  Nah, that goes before a fall ;0



Here is where you can find Jonathan.



http://www.twitter.com/WeddingsByRyan
http://www.facebook.com/WeddingsByRyan
http://peoplebyryan.com/
http://peoplebyryan.tumblr.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonathanryan

1 comment:

  1. Great read, really interesting and love the last picture of the bride jumping onto the bed!!

    ReplyDelete