Thursday 25 November 2010

Interview with Jo Rutherford of Jo Rutherford Photorgraphy

1.     Will you start by telling us where you work and live and the type of photography you do?
I live and work in Southport and  I am an outdoor portrait photographer, I don't say natural light anymore as I am starting to experiment with off camera flash at the moment.  I love photographing teenagers, women and have started to move towards some fashion style shoots and boudoir photography.

2.     What inspires you as a photographer?
This is the hardest question - what inspires me - I love movies and analyse the light and the styling in them far too much! I am always inspired by the American style of   photographers and their creativity and their marketing. I have a brilliant network of photographers who are friends now and they constantly inspire me.

3.     How long have been a photographer?
I have been photographing people for about 2 years now, before that I was obsessed with landscape photography until I realised that putting people in the picture is far more rewarding!

4.     When you’re not photographing, where can we find you?
When I am not taking photographs, you can mainly find me at the computer at the moment trying to finalise details of a Photo Camp I am organising in the Spring. I do make time to go horseriding though - I have just started back after a 20 year break and feeling the pain!

5.     Any books that inspired you {or helped you} in your business?
I love the Innocent Smoothie book ' A book about Innocent and some things we've learned - very funny and a brilliant way of looking at branding and marketing. I have just bought Rankins portrait book and it is just gorgeous - especially the front cover with Robert Downey Junior - very inspiring!

6.     Best marketing idea? 
Best marketing idea - using Facebook and starting a Blog to encourage interaction with the readers

7.     Worst marketing idea?
Worst marketing idea - attending a School fair without doing any research first - too much effort for too little return. Next time I will chose more carefully

8.     Do you have a studio and if not do you feel having a studio would help your business grow?
I don't have a studio - I would love some kind of base to work from and would like to develop my studio skills - thats in the 5 year plan

9.     What do you think makes a photographer successful?
I think a successful photographer is one who realises that taking the photographs is the easy part - its the business of photography which makes the difference - I also think that we need to not be afraid of sharing ideas, networking is so valuable and its not all about competition.

10.  What’s your weakness in this business?
My weakness at the moment is the business skills - very steep learning curve. My other weakness is a lack of belief in myself

11.  Are you a Nikon or Canon?
Canon all the way


12.  and Lens?
My favourite lens is my Canon 70-200mm 2.8L - hardly ever comes off my camera

13.  If you weren’t a photographer, what would you be?
If I wasn't a photographer I would love to own some land and have a couple of Yurts and run a gorgeous and unique bed and breakfast, and keep chickens.

14.  Can you give the readers your best piece of advice for starting or running a photography business.
By best piece of advice for strting out in business would be to not be afraid of the business element - there is so much help out there  and network like crazy!

15.   Tell us your proudest moment of your career?
The proudest moment for me was organising the last Walkabout - an informal practical networking day for models make up artists and photographers - 55 of us spent the day on a farm sharing ideas, swapping contacts and eating cupcakes! Its been amazing to see  friendships develop and peoples confidence blossom


Here is where you can find Jo
 @Jorutherford on Twitter

1 comment:

  1. Great interview with a great photographer, natural, friendly, talented and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete