Wednesday 24 November 2010

Interview with Kate Hopewell-Smith of Kate Hopewell-Smith Photography

1)    Will you start by telling us where you work and live and the type of photography you do?

I live and work in a small hamlet in North Bucks but my photography takes me into London and the surrounding counties.  I am a lifestyle photographer with 3 arms to the business – weddings, portraits and boudoir.





2)    What inspires you as a photographer?

Light and how it transforms the mundane into the truly magical, people but especially children and the visual arts in general.

3)    How long have you been a photographer?

Not long at all! My husband brought me my first DSLR for Christmas 2007.  I signed up to an Open College of the Arts course called The Art of Photography.  Perfectly suited to my fine art background – you learned the technical to achieve the effect, not for the love of kit.  My website went live in April 2010 about mid way through CPT’s Bespoke course.




4)    When you’re not photographing, where can we find you?

Probably behind my Eizo but preferably with my kids and husband.  Or with my friends and a glass of wine or a G&T.


5)    Any books that inspired you {or helped you} in your business?

 My husband brought me David duChemin’s VisionMongers: Making a Life and Living in Photography – it was just at the time when I was creating my website and it had a big impact on my brand communication and tone of voice.  I also found Michael Freemans’ The Photographer’s Eye useful in terms of composition, colour, form etc




6)    Best marketing idea? 

Female networking groups  - formal and informal – women buy lifestyle photography and are natural referrers so top notch customer service is essential. 

7)      Worst marketing idea?

Paying for a small listing with Guides for Brides – they’ve hounded me ever since.




8)    Do you have a studio and if not do you feel having a studio would help your business grow?

I don’t have a studio and don’t notice the lack of one because I would never choose to have an engineered high or low key background and with pro body ISO you can shoot almost anywhere if you follow the available light.  I imagine it forces you to be more creative.

9)    What do you think makes a photographer successful?

A combination of things that are all equally important: a vision and creative eye, technical competence and pro kit, all round business skills and for lifestyle photography you have to be a great people person.   And don’t forget a good dose of healthy fear – it keeps you on your toes and drives you to be better.




10)  What’s your weakness in this business?

I’m too generous with my time in lots of different ways but that’s the perfectionist in me.  It was always thus but at least I’m doing it for my family now.

11)  Are you a Nikon or Canon?
Nikon because my husband likes kit and brought me my first camera.  It’s such a ridiculously polarising subject.  But yes, I’m a Nikonian and won’t be jumping ship.


12)  and Lens?
The right one for the job but if I had to choose then it’s my 85mm 1.4 prime without question




13)  If you weren’t a photographer, what would you be?

I know I’ve found ‘the’ job .  And I am hugely grateful that I am one of those lucky people.  Being greedy for a second perhaps jewellery design.

14)  Can you give the readers your best piece of advice for starting or running a photography business.

Brand, Brand, Brand.  And the team at Contemporary Photographic Training.

15)  Tell us your proudest moment of your career?

Either my website going live or the 5 page article in F2 Freelance Photographer – proud but slightly crazy as I still consider myself a newbie and at the beginning of the journey.

Here is where you can find Kate Hopewell-Smith Photography
 

No comments:

Post a Comment