Wednesday 12 January 2011

Interview with Adele Haywood from Blue Lights Photography

1.   Will you start by telling us where you work and live and the type of photography you do?
      I live in Barnsley South Yorkshire, and I’m a People Photographer, anything to do with people and I’m there. I love being sociable. I mainly concentrate on Weddings and Portraiture of Children and families, but have expanded into maternity photography and modelling porfolios, and 2011 will see the launch of my boudoir and fine art. I work nationwide.


2.   What inspires you as a photographer?
The emotion inspire me. People inspire me.  Its just that connection. Its knowing that you are providing images for people to keep forever, that you’ll be remembered for providing that moment captured in time. Forever. That’s what inspires me to keep going.

3.   How long have been a photographer?
      My earliest memory of me having a camera in my hands is when I was three, and the headmaster from the local school came to visit us at home before I started going to visit to settle in before I started school. I remember hiding behind the door, and keep jumping out and taking any random photographs, with no film in the camera. I suppose that’s exactly when it all started.

 
4.   When you’re not photographing, where can we find you?
      When I’m not photographing you can generally find me in my office, marketing something new, or on twitter and face book. I’ve always got to be on the go, I’ve always got to be doing something.



5.   Any books that inspired you {or helped you} in your business?
      I went into my business without reading anything, and its only since I’ve looked into what books are out there that I’ve started finding more and more things to read. I think one of the more inspirational books I read was “Make It Your Business” which is aimed at Women.

6.   Best marketing idea? 
      Be Yourself. I’ve found that no matter how my stall is at wedding fayres, or what my prices are, being myself is the best marketing tool I have. Many people book me because I’m down to earth, I understand what they’re looking for and in the end, that’s why most clients become friends.


7.   Worst marketing idea?
      “Mates Rates” don’t devalue yourself. Its really not worth it. I’ve done it at the start but I’ve now stopped doing it. You find if you do a “special offer” it soon becomes that they want more and more for less and less.


8.   Do you have a studio and if not do you feel having a studio would help your business grow?One of the things I decided to do when setting up was have a base, with a professional address and landline telephone number. I rent out a studio, however, at the time of writing this we are just in the discussion terms of moving to bigger premises and opening my own studio within the next 2-3 months.


9.   What do you think makes a photographer successful?
      Being happy in their job, happy in their work, and being themselves. Client satisfaction to me is a major importance. If your client is happy they’ll tell people their happy. If your client isn’t happy they’ll tell people their not happy. Word of mouth is a powerful tool.

     
10.  What’s your weakness in this business?
      Learning when to say No. Its knowing when you have too much work on, and knowing you should say No. I hate feeling like I’m letting people down.

11.  Are you a Nikon or Canon?
      I’m a Nikon girl through and through.

12.  and Lens?
I love shooting with my 35mm and 85mm f1.8. I do however use zoom in the studio where necessary, but I also love my 10-20 wide angle. Although you will find a lovely long wish list of lens’ I either want or of course need.


 
13.  If you weren’t a photographer, what would you be?
      Before I set up Blue Lights Photography, I was an assistant manager of a jewellery retail company. With fabulous opportunities presented to me, but unfortunately the power to do what I wanted to do, and to cause so many happy memories made me leave. But if I would have stayed maybe I’d have been running my own shop by now.

14.  Can you give the readers your best piece of advice for starting or running a photography business.
      Establish what you want to do, and where you want to be, but know that things will change and grow as you progress. Know that not everything is black and white, and be prepared for the rough with the smooth. And lastly, don’t try and please everyone.


15.  Tell us your proudest moment of your career?
      There are a couple. Finishing my First Year in Business which was in October 2010. Finding out in November 2010 I had won the Bridal Magazine (www.thebridalmag.co.uk) Best Wedding Photographer Award, and in December 2010, finding out I was nominated for a Wedding Idea’s Magazine Award for Best Wedding Photographer too!



Here is where you can find Blue Lights Photography
twitter.com/BlueLightsPhoto
Facebook www.facebook.com/bluelightsphotography
Website www.bluelightsphotography.co.uk
Blog www.bluelightsphotography.co.uk/blog


No comments:

Post a Comment