Tuesday 25 January 2011

Interview with ...Anna Clarke of Anna Clarke Photography

1.   Will you start by telling us where you work and live and the type of photography you do?
I live and work in Birmingham with my husband Simon, but I travel all over the UK for work which is brilliant. I especially love Devon and Cornwall, I hope to be based there in a couple of years time. I am a creative photographer who shoots weddings, portraits and landscapes. I also shoot bands and lots of other random stuff! My husband 2nd shoots for me most of the time, he is amazing and we work really well together.


2.    What inspires you as a photographer?
I am inspired by light, landscapes, love and people. I find inspiration in everything and am constantly looking for good light, striking composition and the emotion and interactions between people. I am hugely passionate about landscape photography, which I try to bring into my work with people as well. I love the reaction from my clients which constantly reminds me of the power of photography and what an impact it has.
3.   How long have been a photographer?
Since I was about 5! Professionally, about 2/3 years now, but I have always loved photography, looking at it, taking photographs, reading about it. I’m obsessed.

4.    When you’re not photographing, where can we find you?
Mostly editing my photos! I try to get down to Devon with Simon as often as possible. You’ll find me walking on the beach, just chilling with a good book, or attempting to surf. I love love love cooking too so I’m often in the kitchen baking and cooking up yummy treats.

5.   Any books that inspired you {or helped you} in your business?
I have loads of books that have been really useful and inspiring. Some are of specific photographers’ work, some are photography reference books and some are just general arty/creative/random books that I love. I like to draw inspiration from as many different sources and types/styles of photography as possible. A really good book I would recommend is Fast Track Photographer by Dane Sanders. I found it really inspirational and I still go back to it every now and then.
6.    Best marketing idea? 
Word of mouth and recommendations are PRICELESS. It’s totally free too which is obviously brilliant! Online networking is also really important especially for weddings as most brides and grooms use the internet to plan their wedding.

7.    Worst marketing idea?
Trying to please everyone and compromising who you are and what you do just to get a job. You can’t win every job you go for and it’s unrealistic to think you will. Don’t try and be something you aren’t or you will end up doing things you don’t want to do or aren’t proud of.
8.   Do you have a studio and if not do you feel having a studio would help your business grow?
I don’t have a studio at the moment. I prefer working on location and using natural light. I think you capture people’s personalities when they are in a more natural environment, plus as I mentioned I love landscapes and like to incorporate them and the outdoors in my work. I hope one day to have a small studio though, a base for clients to come and see me, and the space to do a small amount of studio work, mainly for commercial jobs.

9.   What do you think makes a photographer successful?
I think it’s just as important for a client to have a good relationship with a photographer as it is for them to like their work. If you get on with the people you photograph you achieve better pictures as they feel more comfortable and also trust you when you ask them to do something a bit out of the ordinary! I think it’s also important to constantly strive to be the best and always aim to improve yourself and your work.


10.What’s your weakness in this business?
I’m fairly new to the business side so it’s been hard work figuring out marketing strategies, filing systems and finding a work flow that works for me. It’s been a tough learning curve so far but I’m on my way now!

11.Are you a Nikon or Canon?
I used to be a Nikon, but I changed to Canon about a year ago (various reasons) and now I am IN LOVE with my 5D Mark ii and the Canon lenses.

12. and Lens?
35mm 1.4 and I’m just about to get the 85mm 1.2, YUM!
13.If you weren’t a photographer, what would you be?
I’d run a little shop by the sea selling art, hand made cards, stationery and cute things for the home.

14.Can you give the readers your best piece of advice for starting or running a photography business.
Get as much experience as possible. Work for free, go on shoots just to observe. Working with a photographer is better than any training course you could take. Read photographers’ blogs and take inspiration from their work. Also prepare to work very hard. It takes a lot of time and hard work setting up your own business, but persevere and you will get there!

15.Tell us your proudest moment of your career?
There have been a couple. Clients loving their images so much they cried, and also getting recognition and praise from photographers I admire and look up to, that’s a wonderful feeling.


Here is where you can find Anna Clarke Photography
twitter.com/annaclarkephoto
Facebook  Anna Clarke Photography

1 comment:

  1. Heh you two lovely people, av seen some of your shots before didnt kn ow wher to comment but they were soooo fab, all yolur little interview stuff is just sooo wot i saw in your work.....wish you the very best success you deserve.....maybe get achance to use you some day....lots of luv..Urs.xxxxx

    ReplyDelete