Friday 21 January 2011

Whats in a Name...

I started my business a couple of years ago, I took the easy option  and chose Maryanne M Photography, and putting an M instead of my surname as the web address was going to be ridiculously long (instead of trying to be trendy...honest!)


I now have a bit of a dilemma.  I’m getting married later this year and my name will change, and I’m thinking perhaps it’s a good opportunity to change my name to a business name separate to my own. 

Though I like the idea that I am the brand, and that it’s more personal, people can relate to a real person, I’m not the most confident of people and I’m definitely not good at marketing myself. 

Perhaps if I was to have a business name, it would be almost like a third person...I can separate me, from the business and I like the idea of the brand being larger than me, and that one day (in my dreams) I’ll have a natural light studio that can be used by other photographers too.

Another good reason is that I’m also abit shy, and feel awkward sometimes discussing prices and chasing invoices (I really need to get a grip!!!) but more than that I have a complete inability to say no, so at those times when clients ask for something I’m not prepared to do I can just say “I’m sorry we don’t offer that” etc. 

But on the other hand I don’t want to make people think that I’m pretending to be a big a business, suddenly referring to myself as “we”?

My plan so far is to come up with some suitably cool name for my photography business, but use my own name for my blog, and therefore separating the two! 

The next post will be how to come up with a suitable name! But in the meantime I’d love to hear your experiences of naming your business, dont forget to leave a comment here or on Facebook!

1 comment:

  1. The old saying "if aint broke don't fix it".

    If your branding is working and people are finding you then keep it as it is. If the change would be a fresh start and bring in more customers then go for the change.

    Also have you search for your self on goggle and how well did it search and also the name change is there a similar name. I want my initials but found 3 other photographers had the same company name.

    ReplyDelete