Friday 28 January 2011

Interview with Danny Gartside - Music Photographer

1.     Will you start by telling us where you work and live and the type of photography you do?

I’m a live music photographer living in Wakefield, the Merry city. Most of my gig shoots are in Leeds and sometimes Wakefield, but I do travel to Sheffield every now and then when the opportunity arises.

2.     What inspires you as a photographer?

My inspiration is to reproduce an image that conveys what is happening on stage. The energy, the sound and the excitement. Hopefully this then accompanies a review that puts the same vibe across in its writing.


3.     How long have been a photographer?

I’ve been shooting shows on and off for about 4 years, more off if I’m being honest, but I decided at the beginning of 2010 that I would try and make a name for myself and took it from there.


4.     When you’re not photographing, where can we find you?

By night I’m a gig photographer (if there’s a gig on that is) and by day I’m a structural draughtsman.


5.     Any books that inspired you {or helped you} in your business?

I’m not sure whether there are any books that are specifically music photographer related, although I suppose picking up any music magazine or artist specific book will give the reader and million and one ideas about what they’re wanting to produce, so I suppose inspiration can be gleaned from there really


6.     Best marketing idea?

I use twitter mainly, mix with the people! If you’re tweeting about what you do, the readers could be people interested in the band you’ve photographed, they could be a PR company who work with the artist, they could be their record label, or even the band/artist themselves. Once you get a merry following, your work gets spread far and wide through the splendour of blogs and re-tweets.


7.     Worst marketing idea?

I don’t know that there are any ‘bad’ marketing ideas. I would probably say, avoid trying to blow your own trumpet too much, especially if you haven’t got the work or the portfolio to back it up. There’s nothing worse that someone saying they’re the best photographer since sliced bread only to find that their portfolio leaves a lot to be desired.


8.     Do you have a studio and if not do you feel having a studio would help your business grow?

I don’t have a studio. Currently it wouldn’t lend itself to me with what I am doing. I have a couple of friends who have studios locally to me, so if the occasion arises, there is a studio space to hire.



9.     What do you think makes a photographer successful?

I think this is something that applies to all types of photography. The finished result is what everyone wants to see. If you can produce a great image, your client will be over the moon, and I think that large clients will be more than happy to pay large fees if they know what the final image will be right. Top get to this point in time, you have to be in the right place at the right time and have a good set of contacts, and in my music photography experience, someone along the way has to give you a chance, a foot in the door. It’s a bit of a chicken and egg business when it comes to music photography. You will never get commissioned if you don’t have a strong portfolio. The only sure fire way of getting to shoot a show to build your portfolio is if you’re commissioned. So, you need, in the first instance, to be very honest and polite to the people that will add you to the guest list without a commission to start building that killer portfolio.

10.  What’s your weakness in this business?

I’m not sure I have any weaknesses as such that would affect me in a business sense. I suppose having a 9 til 5 job could make things complicated if I was to get a commission that would involve taking time off work etc.

11.  Are you a Nikon or Canon?

I’m a Canon user. I have a 50D and a 60D


12.  and Lenses?

I swear by Sigma lenses, I currently have a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM, a Sigma 24-70 f2.8 and a Canon 17-35 f2.8L. I also have a Canon 50mm f1.4 but it is need of repair as the focusing motor has failed (a common problem I’m lead to believe)

13.  If you weren’t a photographer, what would you be?

Other than my 9-5 job, I would have loved to have been a competitive mountain biker. I still get out on the bike when can and commute to work daily.

14.  Can you give the readers your best piece of advice for starting or running a photography business.

Set yourself goals, and always take advice. The chances are that someone out there has had a similar problem or been in a similar situation as you’re experiencing. Don’t think that you’re better than anyone. This will come across in your attitude to both other photographers, who may pass you work on later in your career, or your potential clients, who you may end up disappointing. In the music business, a lot of people know each other, be in at record companies, PR companies or within bands, you don’ want to upset any of them as word will get round and your chances of making anything of it will be gone.

15.   Tell us your proudest moment of your career?

As I’m only a short way into it at the moment, I suppose being published in a glossy national/international magazine for the first time is my proudest moment…so far! But then getting to work with Pulled Apart By Horses on my photogumentary is ranking pretty high too, and hopefully something great is going to come of this in the very near future!


No comments:

Post a Comment