Wednesday 26 January 2011

Interview with Helen Howard of Helen Howard Photography

Interview with Helen Howard

1. Will you start by telling us where you work and live and the type of photography you do?

I live in the small but beautiful cathedral city of Lichfield, in Staffordshire and I would describe my photography to be a combination of lifestyle and contemporary photography, my main business is photographing 'people in love' - wedding photography and I don't know if it is my age (almost on the wrong side of 30) but there has been a massive baby boom amongst my friends so I have also expanded (no pun intended) into the area of maternity portraiture, newborn and family portraits. It is so amazing to have couples come back to me a year or so after I have photographed their wedding to ask me if I would take some bump pictures or newborn shots.  I am a bit of a geek and will pretty much photograph anything!


2. What inspires you as a photographer?

Mainly my clients inspire me, I love forging relationships with a couple before I photograph them on their wedding day, I see the time and effort they put into their day and I just want to capture it as it happens so that they can look back in years to come and remember every little detail.  There are a number of other photographers out there that also offer inspiration, I like seeing what people are trying that is new and a little bit different or alternative, also I find that there is a good community spirit amongst the photographers I have met and a willingness to share knowledge and ideas.


3. How long have been a photographer?

I have always been interested in photography, but in 2007 when I got married I upgraded my camera so we would get some nice shots on honeymoon and from taking few snaps at a friends wedding in June 2007 I managed to build up a portfolio by photographing friends of friends, then people that contacted me through a wedding forum and on the internet, I left my full time job in logistics in October 2008 and became a photographer full time and honestly never looked back!

4. When you’re not photographing, where can we find you?

Enjoying a long walk with my husband and our labrador Roxy, mucking out and looking after my retired and faithful horse Janie (my best friend for the best part of 16 years) or honestly?  I probably have my head buried in my iMac editing photos, Blogging, Twittering or Facebooking!!  Very occasionally you might find me at the gym, but not often!

5. Any books that inspired you {or helped you} in your business?

I am ashamed to say it but I just don't read books! Generally the things that have inspired me have been other photographers blogs, although my photography is not alternative, I would say contemporary and fresh, but not 'alternative' but I absolutely love something that is a little bit different.  My two favourite photographers who have given me so much inspiration are Steve Gerrard  http://stevegerrardphotography.com/blog/  and Emma Case http://www.emmacasephotography.blogspot.com/  - I get a lot of inspiration through talking to other photographers about how they have grown their businesses and how they started out, everyone has a different but amazing story to tell.

6. Best marketing idea? 

One of my brides submitted her real life wedding story to Wedding Ideas Magazine (Uk national brides mag) and from that issue alone I got about 7 enquiries and 4 confirmed bookings (the other 3 were for dates that I already had booked so who knows, it could have meant 7 bookings!)
Also I find that (a bit of a cliche) but if you do a good job and people like your work then they will tell everyone about you.  Most weddings will give me one, two, three or more bookings from friends seeing the pictures and loving them.
Facebook - I give my couples some low res, quick to upload, watermarked images that are 'facebook' ready and just ask them to use those ones so if anyone sees them it helps spread the word about my work, ultimately the less spent on advertising the better and it helps me keep my rates down so people can afford me.


7. Worst marketing idea?

Standalone adverts in UK national press often are less effective than local press/mags and they are very expensive.


8. Do you have a studio and if not do you feel having a studio would help your business grow?

I have just bought a share in a studio, as I saw it as a way that I could expand and grow my business.  Although I love doing natural photography in the great outdoors, sometimes the elements are against you and having a studio means that I can work all year round and if it's minus 13 outside I can still photograph babies and children in the warmth of the studio, and it is smiles all round!

9. What do you think makes a photographer successful?

Every photographer will have their own style, I think to be successful you have to realise that not everyone will 'get' what you do and won't necessarily 'like' your style of work.  I don't believe in hard sell, people will meet you and within probably a few minutes they will have made up their minds whether they want to book you -  based on whether they like you or they like your work.  I feel that if I have to try really hard to sell myself or my work then maybe we won't form the right partnership, on a wedding shoot we have to work together and to be honest a lot of my clients have become good friends and I know that part of the reason they booked me was because we had an instant rapport and knew we would get on well working together.

10. What’s your weakness in this business?

I hate taking money from people, I do not have a very good business head on my shoulders.  I have learned though that by lowering your prices and giving discounts you not only devalue your own work but you undermine photography as a profession so it is important to maintain a level that you feel comfortable with. 
 
11. Are you a Nikon or Canon?

There was no particular reason for choosing Canon, but after I bought my first 40d I decided that I liked the usability of Canon and then various bit of kit are transferable when you upgrade.  Last year I upgraded to a Canon 5d MkII and it completely changed my photography it is such an amazing camera! 


12. and Lens?   I love my 24-105mm L series lens because it gives me flexibility to shoot wide if I need to or a bit longer for portrait shots, I have just bought an 85mm which again is a great lens for the price.  So far I have only invested in canon lens'.

13. If you weren’t a photographer, what would you be?

I'm not sure what I would be but I feel like I would probably be still in Logistics and probably not a happy bunny!

14. Can you give the readers your best piece of advice for starting or running a photography business.

I don't claim to know what is the right or wrong way for setting up a business, but I feel I could have learnt a lot by shadowing another photographer early on, I kind of just jumped straight in at the deep end and it would have been good  to have some guidance.  Networking in the photography business is very important and you will find that people who are passionate about photography will want to talk about it all day if you share their interest and their passion, so learn, learn, learn and never stop learning!

15. Tell us your proudest moment of your career?

Come to think of it I felt quite proud when a magazine I was featured in (UK Mag) was on the shelf of a newsagents in South Africa, then my sister in law proceeded to tell the whole shop I was famous, it was quite funny at the time but good to know that your work can be seen all over the world without you even knowing it, now what's the chances of me getting a booking in Cape Town I wonder??
I don't have just 'one' proud moment as such, but just being able to say I LOVE my job makes me very proud and whenever I get a thank you message from one of my clients it quite often puts tears in my eyes because they say such lovely things about my work, it really makes it so worthwhile!  Recognition from friends, family and clients also makes me really happy that what I am doing really does have an impact and make an impression on people.



Here is where you can find Helen Howard:

http://www.twitter.com/hellsbellsphoto
Facebook  http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=234804285071
Website  http://www.helenhowardphotography.co.uk/
Blog http://www.helenhowardphotography.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh - I am so living through these photos! How awesome is that?! Keep the photos coming!
    wedding photographers Birmingham

    ReplyDelete