Wednesday 1 December 2010

Book Review - Expressive Photography - The Shutter Sisters' Guide to Shooting from the Heart


I bought a copy of this book a couple of weeks ago. Its been created by the blog http://www.shuttersisters.com/, a blog I visit frequently for inspiration and when I feel like I need a bit of a pick me up!  The photos and the accompanying words make me really think about how and why I take photos.

The blog features around 13 women who all come from different back grounds and have different persepectives on photography. Its usually goes pretty easy on the technical side of photography and concentrates on the emotions! 

The book is a lovely addition to my own photography book collection, a collection which is generally more technical than I can cope with.  The book makes you look at capturing feelings and looking at your emotional response to the subjects rather than just worrying about the technical aspects.

This is somthing that strikes a chord with me.  When I first started I just wanted to take those crisp clear photos which are synonymous with professional photography, but as I've developed I dont worry quite as much about those shots, and I try and look for the emotions.  The sneaky shots while no one is aware of you!

So if you want to rediscover or be reminded of why we take photos (personally its always to get an emotional response from my clients), then grab a copy.  If nothing else the images are stunning and it is exactly as descibed in the title "expressive"

2 comments: