Thursday 9 December 2010

Interview with Pete Crouch from PINKTULIP

1.     Will you start by telling us where you work and live and the type of photography you do?

I live in Cumbria just off the main Hadrian’s Wall route between Carlisle and Newcastle, with my wife Louise who is also a photographer and business partner and my daughter Lucy.  I love photographing people and get a great buzz from weddings, but especially enjoy family lifestyle photography.  I also do some commercial work and like creating lovely food images.








2.     What inspires you as a photographer

Whilst I have not done a great deal of landscape work, the outdoors is always an inspiration, and capturing people outdoors in a relaxed environment is always a pleasure. Taking pictures of people doing what they enjoy and having fun is one of the most rewarding parts of my job.

3.     How long have you been a photographer?

I have been taking photos for over 20 years which started with an evening class in B&W photo processing I then set-up a dark room in a spare bedroom at home and have been playing around with cameras ever since.  I made the jump from film to digital about 10 years ago just before our daughter was born and finally took the plunge and turned ‘full-time’ pro in 2006.


4.     When you’re not photographing, where can we find you?

Wearing my other hat as social media manager, I spend a fair bit of time in front of my computer, but love going out with my dog and when the weather is good the whole family can be found in the lakes in our Canadian Canoe.  One of my favourite things is a Friday night in the pub with good friends having a nice steak pie and some real Cumbrian beer.


5.     Any books that inspired you {or helped you} in your business?

‘E-Myth Mastery’ by Michael Gerber,
‘Screw It Let’s Do It’ by Richard Branson
And one I am reading at the moment which is awesome – Jeffrey Gitomer’s ‘Little Gold Book of Yes! Attitude’

6.     Best marketing idea? 

Making a proper commitment to networking, and also getting a good understanding of Social Media.


7.     Worst marketing idea?

Local paper advertising – very low impact and costly. Don’t do it!

8.     Do you have a studio and if not do you feel having a studio would help your business grow?

Yes we built a log cabin at the end of our garden, which we initially used as a studio for High-Key/Low-Key shoots, but now only really use it for commercial or product shots.  Most of our work now is on location or with some venues we partner with.




9.     What do you think makes a photographer successful?

A good attitude is the first thing that springs to mind, and confidence especially when working with people.  Being able to connect and get on with people is vital, as often the subject is looking to the photographer for all the guidance and support they need.  I have also found that at weddings, it is often myself that people will come to for organisation as the photographer tends to be the only ‘non-guest’ that follows the process all the way through the day.  So being organised and in control is a great help as there is an expectation that I will know what to do next.  Oh and being able to tie a Cravat helps as well!


10.  What’s your weakness in this business?

Putting myself under extra pressure. In this business it’s quite difficult to learn how to say no, and I find myself sometimes over-committing with regard to time deadlines etc, and have to burn a bit of midnight oil, but I continually convince myself that a bit of pressure generally brings out the best in people.

11.  Are you a Nikon or Canon?

I am a bit of a closet tech geek, and do love my gadgets.  I use all Canon gear and love my old and battered EOS1D but have started playing with the video function on my new 5DMkII which rocks.


12.  and Lens?

Yes lots – fave at a wedding is the trusty 70-200 2.8IS for most shots and love my 1.8 85mm prime.

13.  If you weren’t a photographer, what would you be?

I love the idea of creating things that people will love, but I am not at all artistic when it comes to drawing or painting so would perhaps be a chef as I love good food except celery and red peppers, I still get really annoyed that I cannot bare the taste of either when they look and sound so wonderful.

Or maybe a lawyer if I had done much better at school.  The law has always fascinated me and I love the idea of a big courtroom battle – must be all the John Grisham books I have read.


14.  Can you give the readers your best piece of advice for starting or running a photography business.

Spend time around other photographers, you may be surprised to find that most are very generous with their time and expertise, don’t try and be all things to all men, find a style or type of photography you enjoy and focus on that. Pick your suppliers carefully and don’t rush into buying lots of kit and samples.  We still have stuff in the cupboard that hasn’t seen the light of day for 2 years.

15.   Tell us your proudest moment of your career?

I used to work in IT sales for about 12 years, and most corporate clients never really got excited about what I was selling them, so I think a very proud moment was handing over the wedding album to my first proper paying client as a pro, and seeing the joy and delight that it brought.



Here is where you can find Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment