Friday 10 December 2010

Interview with Jenny Meng-Strawhorne of Over the Rainbow Photography

1.   Will you start by telling us where you work and live and the type of photography you do?
I’m originally from Seattle, WA, USA but I now reside in Coleraine, Northern Ireland. I’m a people photographer, so I primarily shoot weddings and portraits.





2.   What inspires you as a photographer?
Love, laughter and light.
3.   How long have been a photographer?
Since I got my own camera when I turned 8! :) I’ve been in business a year and a half.



4.   When you’re not photographing, where can we find you?
Playing with my two obnoxiously adorable children, reading a good book (or sometimes not so good – I did finish the Twilight series), working on some sort of craft project, and sometimes… don’t laugh… playing World of Warcraft with my husband.
5.   Any books that inspired you {or helped you} in your business?
I’ve read some photography books, but most of my business inspiration has come from blogs and other successful photographers.

6.   Best marketing idea? 
I’m always looking for the best one! So far networking with other photographers and treating my clients very well top the list.
7.   Worst marketing idea?
Well, maybe not the worst ever because I did get a couple inquiries and it was cheap, but… business cards in the local chippie. I don’t think people are necessarily thinking about custom photography when picking up a takeaway. Ha ;)

8.   Do you have a studio and if not do you feel having a studio would help your business grow?
I’m pretty happy working from home right now, although I think there is a certain prestige associated with having a studio.  For me a dedicated studio/gallery/office is more something my business might grow into rather than something I’d use to help my business grow. 

9.   What do you think makes a photographer successful?
I think a successful photographer is someone who pleases their clients without losing the urge to grow artistically.
10.  What’s your weakness in this business?
My filing system leaves something to be desired. Balancing pride in a job well done with knowledge of how much I still have to learn can be tricky as well.  

11.   Are you a Nikon or Canon?
I’m a Canon girl :)
12.   and Lens?
Love my 50mm!
13.   If you weren’t a photographer, what would you be?
A preschool/primary teacher. I have a degree in Early Childhood Education and I’m still a teacher at heart.  I think it helps me connect with kids and manage groups well.

14.   Can you give the readers your best piece of advice for starting or running a photography business.
Do extensive research first. Lay the groundwork for success by having the equipment and technical skills as well as business knowledge, plans, insurance, etc.  Know that photos are a small part of running a photo business.  Be confident.  Lastly, this may sound cliché but it has helped my perspective immensely recently: remember you’re running your own race! It’s great to seek inspiration and advice but don’t measure yourself by someone else’s standards and get discouraged. Be you and enjoy it!


15.   Tell us your proudest moment of your career?
Finishing my first wedding was an amazing feeling! I also loved shooting a Littlest Heroes Project session this spring.
Here is where you can find Jenny…
twitter.com/jennymeng
Facebook.com/overtherainbowphotography

1 comment:

  1. I'm so pleased to see Jenny profiled here. Our family had a photo session with her last year, and the results were stunning. We'll be using her from now on. What made Jenny such a great fit with our family was her background working with children. It makes such a difference. Both of my children have autism and can be difficult to photograph (my son in particular), but the photos Jenny managed to get of them took my breath away.

    ReplyDelete