Friday 17 December 2010

Interview with Jeanette & Kim of Cocoon Photography

1. Will you start by telling us where you work and live and the type of photography you do?

Cocoon Photography is based in Redbourn, just outside St Albans, Hertfordshire. Cocoon has just had a face lift and a new name (it was called Cocoon Imaging).  Jeanette shares her home with her husband, two very boisterous boys, a mad Labradoodle puppy called Sean and a three legged cat called Dove. Kim lives with her husband and chocolate Labrador, Millie in a bit of a calmer household.
We love all aspects of people photography, especially lifestyle shoots, pregnancy and newborns, makeovers and boudoir. We also do small, intimate weddings, Treasure the Dress shoots and corporate photography.

2. What inspires you as a photographer?



J: I love the unpredictability of every shoot. The way that you can capture the most amazing shots of
children when they are least expecting it, or the way someone comes alive when they have been made up for a boudoir shoot. These things make me happy!!
K: Difficult - it changes with each shoot. Yesterday it was the 17 year old who really didn’t want to be
photographed, but within 2 minutes of the shoot starting was having a great time and loving having her phototaken.

3. How long have been a photographer?

J: I have been photographing all my life, but have only been doing it professionally for the last 4
years really. Before that I was a primary school teacher.
K: Seems like forever as a hobby - I used to love being in the darkroom, but as a living for nearly 4
years.



4. When you’re not photographing, where can we find you?

J: Either at the computer editing or being dragged away by my family to go for long walks with the dog. I’m also partial to the odd glass of wine or two!!
K: Walking my dog, dinner with friends or skiing


5. Any books that inspired you {or helped you} in your business?

J: Too many to mention!!!!
K: I have loads and still buying them.

6. Best marketing idea?

J & K: Going on the Julia Boggio’s The Photographic Entrepreneur and The Ultimate Sales and Marketing Workshop for Photographers in August this year. It completely turned our life (and business) around which has resulted in our new name, branding and website.


7. Worst marketing idea?

J & K Spending an absolute fortune on advertising in glossy magazines and local papers.


8. Do you have a studio and if not do you feel having a studio would help your business grow?

J & K At the moment, we have a studio at Jeanette’s house, which is perfectly adequate for now, but
we are setting our sights on bigger and better premises. Jeanette needs to get out of the house, and we also need a big enough space to have different ‘sets’ for the boudoir photography.


9. What do you think makes a photographer successful?

J: Apart from being good at it, I would say having a passion for what they are doing. If you get up
every morning and dread picking up your camera, what’s the point? If you are enthusiastic about what you are doing, it shows in your work. Also keep training. We go on so many training courses and seminars, like Brett Harkness, the Yerbury’s, Crash Taylor and Damian Lovegrove.
K: Communication with your clients and looking for new ideas. Don’t just keep churning out the
same images and poses shoot after shoot.


10. What’s your weakness in this business?

J: How much time I spend on it, and not on my children!!! That and spending too much money on
‘essential items’ for either props or my camera!
K: Our business heads and lack of patience, but we’re getting better at that.


11. Are you a Nikon or Canon?

J: Neither!!!!! I’m a one of those rare breed Olympus users - and yes, I love it (even though Kim has
been desperately trying to convert me to a Nikon).
K: Nikon


12. and Lens?

J: My new 50mm 1:4 Sigma, although I am saving up for the 30mm one, my 35-100 F2 and
K: 50mm 1.4, 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8

13. If you weren’t a photographer, what would you be?

J: A frustrated artist!!! In all seriousness, I would probably be back teaching, although I don’t miss
it at all now.
K: A stylist, or a pilates teacher.

14. Can you give the readers your best piece of advice for starting or running a photography business.

J: Believe in what you are doing and network, network, network. Also, be proud and confident
about what you are doing. When I first started, when asked what job I did, I used to say, ‘I’m just a
photographer’. Now there’s no ‘just’ about it!!!
K: Practice, practice, practice, and definitely go on training courses or at least talk to other
photographers. We’ve wasted so much money on marketing - if only we had met the Yerbury’s or Julia Boggio earlier! And as Jerry Ghionis says - ‘be better than you were last time’ (or something like that).

15. Tell us your proudest moment of your career?

J: When I was shortlisted to go on a competition day from DSLR User Magazine 3 years ago with about 8 other people run by John Clements, and won the best shot of the day (out of camera), winning a new Olympus E3 camera!!
K: When out of the blue we’re told by people that they love our work. It’s lovely and makes it all
worthwhile.

Here is where you can find Jeanette and Kim from Cocoon Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment