Tuesday 5 April 2011

Better Writing for Photographers - Circus Circus

This is one of those times that I almost don’t want to share something I’ve found...

I don’t find writing easy, I usually spend a lot of time agonising over what I’m going to put on my business website and then keep it very brief and generic – where as here on Photographers Boutique I have a habit of waffling on and on...

I recently came to a decision about my own business.  I get married later this year (have I mentioned that lately?) and know that I’ll be changing my name, so thought perhaps now is the time to work on something new.  But where to start? 

I came to the conclusion that I needed to re-brand my website and have a clearer idea of what I wanted.  So I began reading marketing books, visiting Flourish (a favourite), finding out all I could about rebranding and thinking about how I wanted to be seen.

Now the main problem as I mentioned was the actual writing on my site – how to make it sound interesting and sincere, and that’s where Brand Camp Blog & their book “Circus Circus” comes in.
“Circus Circus” is a brilliant workbook on how to write better for your business.

I was introduced to Brand Camp Blog “Circus Circus” and  by Easy as Pie on the site Served Up Fresh – the pricing guide by Alicia Cane (another great buy if you’re struggling with your pricing) – to be honest I didn’t really take too much notice of it.  It was just another way that I was going to have to part with money and would I see the benefit? 

However I visited Brand Camp Blog - run by successful Photographer Kristen Kalp, and discovered that she has the brilliant idea of giving away the first chapter to entice you into buying it – and be warned it certainly works. 

Basically the first chapter works on your manifesto – what you’re all about.  So I worked on my manifesto and at the end of it came up with something which is very me. I didn’t take me too long, and I enjoyed the process Kristen took me through.  I’m not sure I will call it a manifesto as it sounds a little too grand but it helped me clarify what my photography is about.

Anyway suffice it to say that I bought the rest of the book...

I printed it off and went through it methodically, and at the end of it I had some writing that was most definitely “me”.  Now, it might need some tweaking in future but fundamentally it has helped me express what is different about me and what I have to offer.  I have written all those bits on my site that tend to sound dull and generic.  You know the bits where I tell you that I picked up a camera at the age of 5 and that I love kids....arghhhh my worst nightmare!

Kristen, has an English & education degree, and has a wonderful way of taking you through the writing process with the right amount of examples of how she’s done it and encouragement to think it through yourself.  She holds your hand throughout your work and because the language she uses is entertaining and funny, it isn’t like reading the usual business books.

It asks you to think about yourself and what you have to offer without comparing yourself to others. So no peaking at other photographers’ websites!

I really hope that I’ve done justice to the book, but the only way to actually find out for yourself, is to have a read.  I’m glad I did and I think its going to help my new site.

You can find out more about Brand Camp Blog here and I believe there is a giveaway at the moment if you join her facebook page (Oh how I wish I had seen this myself before buying it at full price)

PS Going back to her blog there are a number of other free resources and ebooks available on the site – you can sign up for all sorts of help – something I have done myself... the only problem is she might actually be worried that I’m stalking her...

(Small print: Just in case anyone is worried I have been paid to write this – I haven’t, it just so happens that it’s really good and if you are bothered by my use of the word “brilliant” – at last count used 17 times – deal with it...)

No comments:

Post a Comment