Friday 1 April 2011

Interview with Emma Wilsher

1.     Will you start by telling us where you work and live and the type of photography you do?
I live & work in Nottingham (Robin Hood Country) & am a Portrait & Wedding Photographer.



2.     What inspires you as a photographer?
That’s a hard question to narrow down. I guess people inspire me primarily which is why I am a portrait photographer. I love the fact that there are so many interesting people in the world who all have a different story to tell & as a photographer I want to be able to record that story for people to look at & to share. I get a lot of inspiration too from checking out magazines, surfing the internet & looking at different photographers/artists work. When out on location I also get inspiration from what’s around me. I always look out for interesting textures, colours & shapes to photograph against.



3.     How long have been a photographer?
I have enjoyed photography as a hobbyist/keen amateur for a fair few years, although I’m not that old:) In regards to going professional I’m still pretty new. I launched my new website & blog approx 6 months ago & am excited for the future.


4.     When you’re not photographing, where can we find you? Usually spending time with my family who are amazingly supportive & our wonderful friends! Other than that a big part of my time is spent on building up my business.


5.     Any books that inspired you {or helped you} in your business?
A few books that stick in my mind would be: ‘The Photographers Market Guide to Building your Photography Business’ ,  The Single Greatest Guide to Wedding Photography Pricing That ever Was & Ever Will Be by Stacey Reeves www.stacyreeves.com/greatestpricingguideever.pdf & a few of Annabel Williams books. I also receive a lot of inspiration from the internet from sites such as the B School www.thebschool.com & www.ilovephotography.com



6.     Best marketing idea?  Still working on that!




7.     Worst marketing idea?
Shooting too cheaply, I have realised that when you have invested time, money & energy into building a photography business you actually need to charge accordingly. If you don’t value your work & the time that it has taken to get to where you are, then no-one will.




8.     Do you have a studio and if not do you feel having a studio would help your business grow? No I don’t own a studio although would hire one if needed. My shoots often take place either in a client’s home (where I sometimes set up a mini studio), at a local park or other place of choice as requested by the client.  I think shooting clients on location can put them more at ease which in turn produces natural, relaxed looking portraits. Someday it may be nice to own a studio but I don’t think it holds my business back in not having my own place at the moment.



9.     What do you think makes a photographer successful?
I think it’s a combination of three things, 1) Being able to work well & communicate with people is essential; in fact a huge part of the job is having good social skills & being able to connect well with your client. If you can put them at ease & help them to enjoy a shoot it will be reflected in your final images. 2) Technical Ability, the more confident you are with your camera & other equipment the better, that way you can focus more on being creative. 3) Being good at business & knowing your market.



10.  What’s your weakness in this business? Admin just because I don’t enjoy that side of the job as much as obviously shooting & being creative. I am pretty lucky that I have an amazing husband though that helps me to run that side of things.



11.  Are you a Nikon or Canon?
I am definitely a Canon girl, I love shooting with the Canon 5d MKII but not adverse to Nikon either.


12.  and Lens?
I use the 24-70mm 2.8 a fair bit, it’s a good all round lens & good in low light situations. I also equally love the 70-200mm f4 for my outdoor shoots; it produces dreamy images with fantastic bokeh.


13.  If you weren’t a photographer, what would you be?
Good question! I probably would have gone into the fashion/textile industry. I always enjoyed doing textile related projects at college & at one point I applied to go to study it at university. It was a decision between studying fashion/textiles & photography & I’m glad to say photography won & I have never looked back.



14.  Can you give the readers your best piece of advice for starting or running a photography business?
I guess I would say get your name out there as much as possible in the beginning (I’m still working on this), if no-one knows who you are then you won’t get business & know how to market & sell your work too. Finally always continue to challenge & stretch yourself & take time to develop your skills further which will enable you to keep producing new & exciting work which your clients will love!


15.   Tell us your proudest moment of your career?
Taking the step to turn my photography into a business & making it a reality.

Here is where you can find Emma

twitter.com/EWPhotographyUK
Facebook/Emma Wilsher Photography

2 comments:

  1. Great Interview, thanks for sharing Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen Dalldorf2 April 2011 at 03:02

    Wow Emma, as a mother wanting to make photography my business too you're really an inspiration! I love you relaxed, natural style :-)

    ReplyDelete