Thursday 7 April 2011

Interview with Charlotte Stone

1.
Will you start by telling us where you work and liveand the type of photography you do?
I live in Bristol at the moment and currently have two day jobs which are a world away from Photography. The Photography that I do is mostly Portrait & Fashion, with a small bit of Commercial.
2.
What inspires you as a photographer
?
Everything & Anything! Generally a lot of magazine & editorial work; Vogue, Elle etc.
3.
How long have been a photographer?
I first picked up a camera when I was about 15, so 6 years now.
4.
When you’re not photographing, where can we find you?
Usually at work unfortunately!
5.
Any books that inspired you {or helped you} in your business?
Richard Avedon’s “Performance’ is full of such gorgeous photos but actually books aside, lighting seminars online have helped me so much.
6.
Best marketing idea?
Flickr. Ever since I joined Flickr, I’ve had almost 500,000 views and it has such a wide audience across the world.
7.
Worst marketing idea?
I would probably say Tumblr – for the one reason is that people never, ever give credit. However, the audience on Tumblr makes it worth it on the other hand.
8.
Do you have a studio and if not do you feel having a studio would help your business grow?
I don’t own a studio space but I turn my flat front room into a studio. I love being able to turn my home into my workplace.
9.
What do you think makes a photographer successful?
It’s hard to define. I think passion is one, because there are a lot of impassionate photographers out there, but I think you need to have a good business head. It doesn’t come on a plate, and you really need to want it and work for it. You need that ‘want’ to make it work.
10.
What’s your weakness in this business?
I would say it would be saying ‘no’! I find it hard to turn models down when I work on a Test basis, even though they won’t benefit my portfolio. I am getting better at it too!
11.
Are you a Nikon or Canon?
I am a Nikon girl, born and bred.
12.
and Lens?
My two favourite lenses are Sigma 30mm 1.4 and 50mm 1.4
13.
If you weren’t a photographer, what would you be?
I’m not actually sure. I think somewhere in Marketing & Advertising.
14.
Can you give the readers your best piece of advice for starting or running a photography business.
Be realistic, and be prepared to work for free. It’s a long hard run before it starts to show, but if you’re dedicated and you want it, there is no reason as to why it won’t work for you. Remember it is a business too!
15.
Tell us your proudest moment of your career?
Oh that’s hard. One would be walking into a pub & 5 star B&B where my images are on every table in a A5 brochure and on a digital photo frame for everyone to see.
Other than that, it would be having an e-mail from someone on the other side of the world saying that they saw my photos in a magazine. That was surreal!

Here is where you can find Char
twitter.com/ www.twitter.com/charloustone
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Char-Stone-Photographer/232535842966
Website: http://www.charlottestonephoto.com/
Blog http://www.charlottestonephoto.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment