Thursday 7 April 2011

Interview with Ines Banks of Source Images Photography

Will you start by telling us where you work and liveand the type of photography you do?

My main discipline is as a wedding photographer but I also spend a lot of time second shooting/assisting my husband when he is shooting travel assignments’. I live in the small village of Pinkneys Green in the Berkshire countryside but I am originally from Dubrovnik, Croatia so I still spend a lot of time over there working. Our offices are in the village of Cookham but I am fairly lucky that my work takes me all over the world. 


What inspires you as a photographer?

Anything and everything inspires me really. Most of the best photographs I have taken I didn’t have a camera so I guess my memory and the drive to produce images that live up to what I have stored in my head are what inspires me most.

How long have been a photographer?

Roughly 5 years now



When you’re not photographing, where can we find you?

At home working on the interior of our house. I love interior design!! If I’m not at home the airport would probably be the best place to start.



Any books that inspired you {or helped you} in your business?

Ansel Adams the Camera, the Negative and  the Print. These are a must for any photographer really wanting to master the skill required to take great images. After that I would be James Nachtwey’s Inferno


Best marketing idea? 
Do a good job. Nothing will beat that but getting your work published in magazines and blogs is a very close second.


Worst marketing idea?

Photography listing sites where you are one of 10,000. I won’t mention any names but I am sure all the photographers reading this have been contacted by at least some of them.  No one will ever find you even if they have the patience to troll through these mundanely boring sites.



Do you have a studio and if not do you feel having a studio would help your business grow?

We do have a studio but I don’t think it has really made that larger impact on our business.



What do you think makes a photographer successful?

Practice, hard work, patience, professionalism and above all great work.



What’s your weakness in this business?

Saying no and knowing when to stop working. It is possible to work too much and it will eventually harm your productivity.


Are you a Nikon or Canon?

Nikon & Leica but they are all boxes to capture light so the next question is more important to me.



and Lens?

50mm 1.4 leica or a 24-70mm 2.8 Nikon


If you weren’t a photographer, what would you be?

A fashion designer most likely but I would love to be an interior designer too.


Can you give the readers your best piece of advice for starting or running a photography business.

Don’t think of photography as a nine to five job. It’s a lifestyle and If you can cope with that you should be fine. 


Tell us your proudest moment of your career?

It hasn’t happened yet and until Magnum or VII ask me to join them I am going to have to go with the day my husband believed in my ability to let me go on shoots without him. It was a while ago now but I guess that would be it.



Here is where you can find Ines

http://twitter.com/source_girl
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Source-Images-Photography-wwwsource-imagescouk/140967442585015
Website http://www.source-images.co.uk/
Blog http://www.sourceimagesblog.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment