Saturday 2 April 2011

Interview with Francis Peacocke of Francis Peacocke Photography

1.   Will you start by telling us where you work and live and the type of photography you do?

I am based in Ballymena, in County Antrim in Northern Ireland, just 30 miles from the stunning north coast.
I cover a wide cross section of photography from weddings and portraits to commercial work as well as a natural love for landscapes.

2.    What inspires you as a photographer?
Quite a few names come to mind from all across photography disciplines. John Swannell for his elegance, Don McCullin for his complete range of work and his intensity, Albert Watson for a staggering volume and quality. There are also many contemporary UK photographers I keep up to date with but I don’t think it’s fair to single out just a couple now.

3.   How long have been a photographer?
Ha - All my life but as a serious amateur more than 20 years and professionally only for the last year.


4.    When you’re not photographing, where can we find you?
Either with my nose in a book or believe it or not taking photographs on the beaches and forests around the wonderful area I live in.

5.   Any books that inspired you {or helped you} in your business?
I’ve read lots of books from the ‘how to do it’ manuals to the more inspirational portfolios but nothing beats getting out there and trying thinks for yourself as well as attending workshops and courses.


6.    Best marketing idea? 
Just recently I published a photograph on my blog of a wine bottle for a commercial shot I was playing around with for my own portfolio. I tweeted the results and the owner of the Domaine in the South of France contacted me to commission photography of his complete new range for 2011. My photography is now all over his website.
Apart from that I have to say even though I come from a marketing and advertising background I do struggle finding the right channels to market.


7.    Worst marketing idea?
I haven’t made any massive mistakes yet but I probably haven’t invested enough in my marketing which is a mistake.

8.   Do you have a studio and if not do you feel having a studio would help your business grow?
I don’t have a studio although I have the lights etc. At the moment I don’t need one and anyway I prefer to be on location, whether that is outdoors, in an office or at a client’s home.

9.   What do you think makes a photographer successful?
Hard work and getting your name well known as well as always delivering.

10.What’s your weakness in this business?
My marketing as I have mentioned above. I’m rubbish at selling myself but at least knowing that helps to counteract it.
11.Are you a Nikon or Canon?
Canon. I’m currently using a 5D Mark2. I’ve always used Canon simply because many years ago it was my first serious camera and with the investment in lenses it wouldn’t be economic to change for marginal benefits.


12. and Lens?
I’ve got a range of lenses covering everything from 20mm to 200mm. On the rare occasion I need more I hire.

13.If you weren’t a photographer, what would you be?
Well I was a marketeer and if I wasn’t doing what I do now that is probably where you would find me.

14.Can you give the readers your best piece of advice for starting or running a photography business.
Not sure I’m the best person to give advise but get known for good work as soon as possible. Don’t overspend on gear and photograph as often as possible and let people see your best work.

15.Tell us your proudest moment of your career?
There are two actually. One was walking into a house in Copenhagen and seeing a family portrait I had taken handing on the wall in their reception as a 20x30 canvas print. Sounds simple but the family were so pleased with it they had invited all their friends over on the day it was hung.
The second was seeing some photographs I had taken in Cape Town used on 48 sheet posters across all of Ireland for a major blue chip company.


Here is where you can find Francis Peacocke Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment