Thursday 7 April 2011

Interview with Daniel Cadden Photography

Will you start by telling us where you work and live and the type of photography you do?
 I live in Chorlton cum Hardy, one of Manchester’s vibrant southern suburbs with a very active arts scene and loads of great character. I do provide photographic services throughout the UK, but I’ve found I love nothing more than working with local businesses. Having clients on your doorstep makes it incredibly easy to build up relationships with them and when required, work closely with them. It’s also great for referrals. I undertake a wide range of photography, portrait, wedding and product photo shoots all being good staples.

What inspires you as a photographer?
 This is actually a tough question to answer because inspiration comes in a variety of ways. I like taking a clients brief and delivering something based upon it which is more interesting and captivating than the client originally expected. In portraiture I like bringing out peoples natural beauty and revealing in images selected facets of their personality. I like revealing in photographs beauty which is often completely overlooked in the natural course of our lives. And of course, if I see a beautiful landscape, building or sculpture of course I want to create an image which does it justice.

How long have been a photographer?
 I have been dabbling in photography for just over five years. I became a part-time professional photographer in early 2010 and just recently I’ve made it a full time venture.
When you’re not photographing, where can we find you?
I can be found working on my other venture (an business internet and media company), exploring the countryside on my bike or spending time with friends and family.
Any books that inspired you {or helped you} in your business?
 I’ve recently read Maria Piscopo’s “The Photographers Guide to Marketing and Self-Promotion” and also a few of the small guides from Oliver Cameron.

Best marketing idea? 
Twitter! It’s a great tool for interacting with other local businesses and for promoting the brand.
Worst marketing idea?
Twitter! It’s so easy to lose hours reading through tweets and their related material!

Do you have a studio and if not do you feel having a studio would help your business grow?
No and No. It’s easy enough to hire a studio as and when required. That said, I’m sure having my own studio would prove to be more convenient and change my approach to marketing. It would definitely change the shape of my business but I believe the overheads involved make it unviable just now.
What do you think makes a photographer successful?
Confidence, drive, ambition and good prioritisation.

What’s your weakness in this business?
Marketing. With my base in Manchester, there are many outfits offering photographic services and that makes distinguishing yourself from the competition quite the challenge.
Are you a Nikon or Canon?
Seriously? I’m a Nikon user!

and Lens?
My favourite lens is the one attached to my camera! It’s no use snuffling around in your kit bag when you are in the moment and by the time you’ve fitted your preferred lens the moment is gone. My favourite lens is the lens that gets the best results and that depends on the brief and the occasion. I enjoy shooting in low light situations, so I tend to favour lenses with larger apertures. I also enjoy the challenge of composition with a prime lens. Countless times though I’ve been thankful for having a long zoom and also having VR, so I guess my real favourite if you had to push me is my 70-200 f2.8 VR.
If you weren’t a photographer, what would you be?
I honestly have no idea! I like the freedom of being self employed and I like being able to work directly with clients so whatever I did would have to lend itself to those two requirements.

Can you give the readers your best piece of advice for starting or running a photography business.
Take your time. Learn and read as much as you can before you jump in.

Tell us your proudest moment of your career?
My first paid portrait shoot.. with a group of 7 teenage girls! I thought I’d bitten off more than I could chew, but when I look back at the results they please me no end.




My contact details are:

No comments:

Post a Comment